The Institute was founded with the objective of encouraging students enrolled in Master's and Doctorate programs to devote themselves to the research of advanced technologies. The research projects are funded by domestic and foreign organizations through long-term collaborative partnerships. The Institute embodies several joint research centers such as NCTU/CISCO Internet Technology Lab and NCTU/ITRI Joint Research Center and has gained equipment donations from Intel, EMC, and Xilinx. Numerous faculty members have won Outstanding Research Awards from the National Science Council, served as program committee members and editors of international conferences and journals, and participated in various large-scale domestic or international research projects.
The Institute organized its research activities into various research groups under its Information System and System Design Program. The Information System Program focuses on basic theoretical research and the evolution of IT applications, while the System Design Program focuses on hardware architecture and system integration between software and hardware.
- ARM-9 compatible processor with audio-visual processing capability: this device extends the application areas and product types of ARM 9 processors, which are widely used in many embedded systems.
- On-line cooperative learning system: the system integrates digital interaction and AV technologies to improve learners' self-awareness and academic achievements.
- Distributed digital certification centers with intrusion prevention capability.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) detector to prevent drivers from dozing: drivers wearing a hat fitted with an EEG detector will be warned by an alarm when they begin to doze.
- Best Wise International Computing Co., Ltd. was established by students and has developed 15 software products and systems, including the D&D Media Presentation Creator 2004, which was awarded “The Innovative e-Learning Award” in 2004, and the On-line General English Proficiency Test System, which has been adopted in GEPT for online use.
- NCTUns 5.0network simulator was downloaded more than 10,000 times by more than 129 countries. It is one of the most widely used network simulators.
- Strengthening interdisciplinary collaboration with such disciplines as Medical Science, IT and Biological Science, and Digital Content.
- Facilitating international research collaborations with a good support system for visiting scholars.
- Designing International Programs to attract international outstanding students.
- Organizing research groups of special interests to gain international reputations.